EDITOR AT THE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS, MAASTRICHT UNIVERSITY (0,80 FTE)
The faculty School of Business and Economics (SBE) of Maastricht University is looking for an Editor.
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 16,500 students and 4,000 employees. Reflecting the university's strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Humanities and Sciences, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
School of Business and Economics
The Maastricht University School of Business and Economics offers you a truly international perspective. We are an integrated, synergetic and society-oriented institute, focusing on conducting excellent research and educational innovation. Our renowned Problem Based Learning method fosters authentic students, critical thinkers and gives rise to societal conscious leaders. Our multidisciplinary approach inspires us to explore, in fundamental as well as in more applied research. As such we function as the interface between Society, Business and Academia. We work collaboratively, in openness, towards a sustainable future. We are driven to share responsibility with all those involved in the SBE community. We inspire you to be an interdisciplinary and engaged professional.
UMIO is the professional development branch of Maastricht University (UM). It’s home is the School of Business and Economics (SBE), but its programmes and projects connect professional postgraduate initiatives across UM faculties to address the multidisciplinary challenges that many professionals and organisations face. UMIO’s high quality learning trajectories help participants probe for effective approaches in a complex landscape, implement changes that are future-proof, co-create with different people and connect to a variety of networks. This creates a learning environment for personal growth that actively challenges participants to get and stay ahead. For more information on our programmes and projects please see www.umio.nl
UMIO was launched only recently – in October 2017 – by Maastricht University School of Business and Economics. Together with SBE’s Marketing & Communications team, the Editor will thus play an important role in improving brand awareness and taking the next steps in creating a successful branch for professional development.
The Editor performs editorial tasks, both on- and offline, for various editorial projects. He/she works on the basis of established editorial plans and frameworks, towards set deadlines. The Editor is able to provide information to divergent target groups in a timely and accessible manner. He/she performs tasks in the areas of desk, text, image, video and social media editing. The Editor monitors and supports content providers and, where needed, organises (independently or in cooperation with fellow editors) for this content to be presented/published in the client’s preferred publication environment. Further, the Editor manages and evaluates the publication process and quality, and assesses whether the content meets the objectives of UMIO using qualitative and quantitative methods (e.g. Google Analytics).
The Editor primarily operates in the context of UMIO. However, his/her work also involves creating suitable “translations” from science to business and contributing to the valorisation of scientific work through popularising predefined research themes.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Performing desk-editing tasks (editing of news reports, background stories, interviews, etc.);
- Performing text-editing tasks (editing and writing more static content for websites and brochures);
- Editing and evaluating texts, images and video material delivered by content providers;
- Performing editorial tasks for various social media platforms;
- Coordinating editorial tasks of other parties (colleagues, freelancers, etc.) in the context of UMIO;
- Contributing to the further development of web functionalities and social media, and thus to the development of modern editorial plans;
- Seeking news and information within SBE’s research, education and postgraduate development domains;
- Collaborating with SBE staff working in similar positions to create mutual learning opportunities and further improve the collaboration mode;
- Contributing to SBE’s valorisation agenda by finding synergies between research themes and business challenges, and linking them through editorial content;
- Maintaining a network of news informants within SBE;
- Contributing to the development of and applying editorial plans and frameworks;
- Advising various parties within UMIO on editorial activities;
- Keeping abreast of developments in the professional as well as scientific field.
Terms of employment
- completed a bachelor (HBO/WO) in communications, journalism or any related field;
- has at least 4-5 years of work experience in related positions;
- has a natural curiosity for and affinity with journalism and reporting;
- has excellent communication skills in English (UMIO’s primary language of communication) and Dutch;
- has outstanding writing skills in Dutch and English (on- and offline, irrespective of communication channel), demonstrated by an available track record;
- has experience with business-related communications;
- has the ability to turn complex information (e.g. scientific reports) into accessible communication for predetermined target groups (e.g. business professionals);
- has experience with operating in commercial and business-oriented settings;
- has the ability to empathise and communicate with divergent university target groups;
- is familiar and highly experienced with the effective design and use of modern communication channels, such as:
- Ability to edit corporate and portfolio brochures on text and imagery
- Ability to set up and edit webpages including text, imagery and video
- Ability to managing blogging and vlogging environments
- Ability to make editorial contributions to business networks, scientific symposia, and other relevant events
- Ability to manage social media channels and create relevant content
Employment conditions are based on the Collective Labor Agreement of Dutch Universities. We offer a part-time position for a period of 1 year, with possibility of extension or a permanent contract. The gross monthly salary is based on experience and qualifications, and ranges from a minimum of € 2.465,- to a maximum of € 3.722,- on a full time basis.
The conditions of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information, please check the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl
> Support > UM employees.
Dienstverband: Temporary, 1 year with possibility of extension or tenured appointment
Please apply by submitting a full CV and cover letter. Applications can be sent to email@example.com
. Please refer to vacancy number AT2017.280 with your application. Further information on the vacancy can be obtained from drs. R. Jacobs via firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applications need to be send in before January 26, 2018.